Shit happens, isn’t it! And, it did happen in case of these famous women who ended up getting married to gay men without realizing. Have a look at these celebs who probably made the biggest mistake of their lives.
- Carrie Fisher and Bryan Lourd got married in 1991, but got divorced 3 years later in 1994, when she discovered his interests in men. The couple has a daughter together.
- Angela Lansburg’s first husband Richard Cromwell, an actor by profession, was gay. While the marriage lasted for only a year, they remained friends until Richard’s demise in 1960.
- Liza Minnelli was married to musician Peter Allen from 1967 – 1974. He later got into a long term relationship with Gregory Connell. It is worth mentioning that Liza’s mother too got married to a gay man.
- Fran Drescher was married to The Nanny’s creator Peter Marc Jacobson from 1978 – 1999. Peter Marc didn’t come out at gay until the two were divorced. Later, they came up with a sitcom Happily Divorced, which was based on their own personal experiences.
- Judy Garland was one of the many women whom Hollywood director Vincente Minnelli got married to.
- Terry McMillan was married to Jonathan Plummer from 1998 – 2005. She even based the lead role of her romantic novel How Stella Got Her Groove Back on Jonathan Plummer.
- Carol Channing got married to her manager, Charles Lowe in 1956. The couple was together for 42 years despite widespread rumors that Charles was gay. However, Carol began her divorce proceedings in 1998. Lowe died in 1999 before the divorce could have been finalized.
- Hollywood actress Berry Berenson was married to Anthony Perkins of Phycho fame for decades, despite the fact that Perkins had relationships with several men throughout his life. The couple had to children together.
- Singer Margaret Whiting was married to adult star Jack Wrangler from 1994 – 2009, until Wrangler’s demise.
- Elsa Lanchester, an Oscar nominated actress of British origin, in her autobiography mentioned that her husband was gay and that is why they never had kids.
- Janet Gaynor, who is known to be one of the biggest stars of the silent movie era was in a relationship with costume designer Adrian, despite being aware of the fact that he was openly gay.
- Betsy Drake was married to actor Cary Grant. It is now believed that that actor was gay and spent a considerable amount of time with another male actor named Randolph Scott. Drake was Grant’s second wife who had also appeared with him I two films.
- Famous Hollywood actress Amanda Blake was married to Mark Spaeth. The information on Mark being gay was outed after his death to AIDS – related complications in 1985. Amanda Blake too died from AIDS in 1989.
You Might Also Like to Read: